Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Can we watch it againnnnnn???

Time seems to be flying!! I can't believe how fast the end of the semester is approaching! The kids seemed to LOVEEEEEEEEE the video we showed them on solids, liquids, and gases! Jill brought her computer and introduced the video, which was great! They were laughing the whole time but they showed that they were actually listening to it as I asked them to name a few solids, liquids, and gases afterward. They all responded correctly and I was very excited. I than called them back to their seats by color. I made a mistake and said everyone who is wearing blue(not thinking BLUE was a POPULAR color) and many kids got up to go back to their seats. I now know next time to call something not as common like orange, yellow, purple, etc. 

Jillian introduced what we were doing for the lesson and reminded students about process skills and important vocabulary we were going to talk about. We than had one person from each group(a designated person) to WALK up and get the materials from the table which were all laid out for them. We than had them review the cups and see if the cups look any different than they did last time. We discussed their observations with the class and Jill wrote them on the board. Jill did a great job of after recording the information, than made sure to go over it with the students. What a partner! :)

It was important to us to keep everyone on task with the amount of materials and steps so we made sure to go step by step(even as basic as "everyone take your cups off your mat") We gave them an allotted time to do each step so they knew to stay on task.  We went through every direction with them so they knew what they were doing and things went very smoothly throughout the lesson.

The kids seemed really excited for this lesson and really worked great in their groups. We had some groups as big as six but they all worked really well together and were asking each other great questions that Jill and I were able to hear as we walked around. 


The kids all seemed to really understand that the gravel and the toilet tissue did not change. A few students pointed out that the water rose because as the rocks settled, it made the water higher. (How smart are they!!) Another student said that the toilet tissue become soggy because of the water which made it heavier which is the reason it sunk to the bottom of the cup. They did a great job of separating the solids and liquids as well. They seemed to love the funnels and they thought they were so cool!


Overall, the lesson was a great success and our teacher was really happy with us. She was glad to see that we were using all of her recommendations from earlier lessons (and from our professors) and using them to further the education of her students! I don't want to leave these kids!! :(


3 comments:

  1. Jen,

    I am sure they don't want you to leave them either. I have to say it makes me smile when I pull up your blog and see that mudfest picture. I too did one of those many years ago....however, my picture was horrible and even my teeth were muddy. Good thing that picture of me is put away! I actually look forward to Monday's and going to Byam to do these lessons now because I think we are all really growing as teachers. We are more confident and knowledgeable about what we are teaching. The best thing I think we can do is use that feedback from our professors and the teacher every lesson. Glad to hear your teacher sees how great you two are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen!

    I also can't believe that we only have two more lessons left!! It will be very sad to leave and I'm sure the kids will miss you too! I'm glad the video was a hit! I couldn't get the song out of my head for the rest of the day haha! I think the students really enjoy any kind of technology we can incorporate into the lessons, now more than ever. Great job!!

    ~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kathy and Becky! Those little kiddies are so lucky to have you two!

    ReplyDelete